Sunday, June 8, 2014

Police Life Can Be Scary

I am not sure if I have shared these stories before, but I don't want to scroll through my blog right now, so I will share them again.  They are stories I always want to remember.

Back when Jake became a Police Officer I was so excited, he was so happy and loved his job and looked soooo good in his uniform (he still does).  It wasn't for a few months that I realized what exactly he had signed up for.  My little bubble I had lived in all my life had all of a sudden been ripped from me and I was quickly realizing how evil some people are.  Then we had children and oh my, I feared for them.  I didn't want anyone to ever get close to them.  Of course you need to trust and all of that, but my poor babies.  And now 12 years later, this world is just getting full of more and more crazy people and it is hard to not worry about Jake.

With all the tragedy as of late, I worry so much for Jake.  The ONLY thing that gives me comfort is a part from Jake's patriarchal blessing.  It says something about listening to the holy ghost, and that by responding to it he will avoid tragedies.  I know Jake, and he listens to it and he is guided by it, so that is super comforting.  The other thing is that he will be lead moment by moment to guide others.

So here are my stories of Jake.

While working in Midvale they received a call of a burning apartment building.  Jake was one of the first responders.  He started going door to door and telling everyone to get out.  Soon the building was in flames and they were told by the chief to get out themselves.  Jake had a very strong feeling he needed to go back in, so without hesitation he ran in and another officer followed him.  As he entered the door it shut behind him and it was filled with smoke.  He had a feeling to drop to the ground and flash his flashlight all over and scream to come towards him.  After a minute a women and her two children came running to his light.  They all exited the building.  Had Jake not went back into the building these 3 people would have died, I don't doubt that at all.  Jake got a life saving award for this act.  His chief was still upset and told him to never do that again, Jake told him that if the situation came again, he would do it all over again, the Chief told him he would not!

The next time was Jake got a call about a vehicle that was pulling out of Walgreens on State Street and was sticking out in the road and the driver appeared to be asleep.  Protocol is to first get to the situation, access and if needed to call for medical.  As Jake was driving he had a feeling that he should start medical in route, so he did (he was probably 5 mins out).  He had no idea what his call was, or what was going on, but the feeling was so strong that he couldn't ignore it.  Jake arrived and the guy was unresponsive, the car was in drive and the guy miraculously still had his foot on the break, he also had a small child in the backseat.  Jake broke the window, put the car in park and just then medical pulled up.  The guy had just picked up his prescription pain patches.  The pain was so bad he thought maybe if he just put it in his mouth instead of on his back it would work faster, not a good idea.  The medics gave him a shot and everything turned out okay, however they told Jake had they gotten there 2 minutes later the guy would have been dead and the shot would not have worked to save the man.  If Jake would have waited to call for medical until he got there, it would have been too late for that guy.  Thankfully Jake was listening the the spirit and saved that mans life.

Those are the two that stick out the most to me, however Jake has received so many compliments on his demeanor.  He knows how to react to situations, he knows how to communicate with others.  When he is dealing with a devastating situation for others (death), he has a calming effect and knows just what to say.  It almost comes easy for him as he listens and is guided in how to comfort these people.  He has interviewed a lot of people, and a lot of these people are good people they have just made very bad decisions, and Jake makes sure to tell them that.  When they are down on themselves and it would be easy to tear them apart and down talk them, he doesn't, he shows them respect and numerous times he has told the suspect, you are a good person, you've just made a bad decision.  It really effects these individuals.  I know that Jake has his job for a reason.  He is an amazing Police Officer and he has saved so many lives by listening to the spirit and being kind to others.  I am so proud of him, and all he does in our community.

I am saddened that there are so many sick people that look down on Police Officers and they are seen as a target, and sometimes their lives are taken.  It makes me so sad for their families, and I pray I never get that phone call, it would rip me apart.  I know that if Jake continues to listen to the Holy Ghost and live righteously that he has been promised that he will avoid tragedy, what a great comfort that is!!!



No comments: