Friday, November 26, 2010

PaRtY TiMe

We celebrated Marshall and Kambria's Birthday a month early this year. Jake won a Bowling Party to fat cats at a silent auction for an amazing deal and the gift card expired end of November. We figured since their birthdays are Dec 20 and 22nd it would be easier to celebrate them a bit before Christmas anyway, and they were obviously excited about it!!
Us and 30 Family/Friends went to Fat Cats and were able to bowl and eat Pizza for 2 hours. It was a lot of fun. Of course with so many kids we didn't bowl but 1 1/2 games, however it turned out to be wonderful.

We wanted to make them a fun cake as we do each year. I have been learning how to make fondant cakes and Jake and I both watch Cake Boss. We thought it would be fun to try making a double sided cake. So one side was the bat cave for Marshall and the other Dora's Castle for Kambria. We make the people out of molding chocolate. It was ALOT of work. It seriously took 10+ hours. I had to make and bake 9 - 8x10 cakes. 3 double batches of buttercream frosting. I had to make 6 boxes worth of rice krisipie treats and another double batch of buttercream. 3 batches of fondant and then the molding chocolate. The cake was 100% edible, however we didn't eat the rice krispie part, but could have if we chose to. I think it turned out great. I know my skills will only get better :)

--Just a side note. Before when I had made fondant I was very frustrated because it didn't seem to work correctly. It was very hard to work with and just was sticky and a weird consistency. It was so irritating, because I had other friends that had worked with MM fondant and they had no problems. Well I figured it out ... it calls for 16oz of Marshmallows, so I measured 2 cups of marshmallows when really it was calling for a 16 oz bag of marshmallows which is a huge difference. So using the correct ingredients it turned out so wonderfully!!!!


We love our kids and are so thankful for them. Another post near their birthdays about there progress this last year. Also thanks to our family for coming and supporting them. We are so blessed with wonderful family. Marshall and Kambria both were spoiled with gifts, I don't think they even need a Christmas. They were so delighted and I hope they thanked everyone, because they are so thankful!!





1 comment:

Lisa M said...

YOU are an amazing cake boss!!