Saturday, February 23, 2013

Surgery

Last year Jake had surgery on his hip to repair a torn labrum and to shave his bone so that it was the correct shape so that it wouldn't happen again.  I remember being nervous, but all went well with the surgery.  He was good for several months, he then played Basketball and got hit and his hip popped out and went back in and then a month later he was in pain again.  So he went back to the Dr 6+ months later and they decided he needed to have surgery again.  He was in so much pain those 8 months until surgery, I felt helpless, there was no way to help him and even meds wouldn't take all the pian away.

Surgery day finally came.  I slept horrible, so worried about his surgery.  I knew Jake would be okay, but I was worried about what was wrong, would they be able to fix it ....  Jake is young, he can't have a bad hip the rest of his life, that would be horrible.  We check in, we go back and get in gown, IV goes in, Dr comes and talks to us.  He tells us it will be 2 hours and when he is done he will come out and talk to me.  I have decided I'm not leaving until I talk to the Dr.  So I sit in the waiting area and read, play games on my iPad for 2.5 hours.  During this time, many Dr's come out and tell them the surgery went well, he/she will be in recovery for X amount of time, we will let you know when you can come back.  Normal way of talking to the family.  A nurse comes out and is wandering about, comes over and asks if I am Jake's wife.  Why yes I am, I tell her.  She says, Great, the surgery is over and the Dr will be coming out to talk with you.  She kinda pauses and looks around and then says, if you would like to come with me I'll actually bring you back to a little room so you can have some privacy.  So I go back in this little room and sit there for 10 minutes (it felt like hours), stressing and wondering why did I have to come in this room?  No one else has.  Is he okay, it did take 30 mins longer then planned, is Jake hurt, is there no fix for his hip, my eyes are getting watery and I am beyond scared.  Dr West finally comes in and says super cheerful, Everything went great.  He tore his labrum again which explains the horrible pain!  I shaved his femur bone some more to make it even better then last time. I took his muscle/ligament and pleated it and sutured it to make the socket tighter so that the hip won't pop out anymore, and won't give Jake that sensation.  That was the long part, there is no science to it, it is a work of art.  He drew me a picture and it all made sense. He showed me what Jake can and cannot do with his leg, that there were certain hip extension he could not do for 6 weeks while it healed.  He then made the decision to order a brace for Jake to wear so that he the Dr could sleep better at night.   He made sure I was good and understood and apologized that we were back a 2nd time and then said go eat, Jake will be up in the room in about 1 hr.  He left and I was so relieved.  I was so very thankful to my Heavenly Father that Dr West is so smart and knows how to fix this problem. There are only 2 Drs in utah that can do this surgery.  Only one on our insurance plan.  We truly are so thankful for Dr West and all of his medical knowledge.   I was thankful that Jake would no longer be in pain (once he was healed).  I then went and ran some work errands and then waited in the room until Jake came up.  It was so great to see him when they rolled the bed in.

It is going to be a very long 6 weeks of wearing the brace and a longer 6 months to 1 year of no sports, but it will be so worth it in the end.

No comments: