Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Fairview 2013


May 24, 2013

Today we woke up at home, ate some egg salad sandwiches and hit the road to go camping!  It is Memorial Weekend and we wanted to go up to Fairview lakes.  We drove by 2 weeks ago and there was still a little bit of snow, so we were hoping that with the nice weather it would be melted.  Our campground is free from snow and the enitrie mountain up to it.  There is snow in the distnace and patches here and there, but today it was so warm we didn't even need our jakets.

We got up and set up the trailer, made some hoagies and then set up the campground.  We are the first ones to come up this year.  Jake brought up the chain saw just in case, and good thing he did because a tree had fallen over and was over the fire pit, so him and Marshall chopped it up!  We now have plenty of fire food, it was a big tree.  Grandma and Grandpa Cutright and Alison and her kids surprised us and came up for the day.  We had a lot of fun.  We went fishing, although no one caught anything, caught a frog and then just hung out around the camp fire.  Jake and Marshall went and shot the BB guns, Marshall made a target and stuck it to a tree with a pocket knife; he enjoyed shooting at the target.  Jake taught Marshall how to widdle and he really enjoyed that as well!

We have a tire swing up here, it is way fun, you glide in it.  The kids played in that forever as well.  For Dinner I made Dutch Oven BBQ Pork Ribs, Cheesy Potatoes in tin foil on the coals, rice and corn on the cob, it was yummy!  For dessert we had peach cobbler in the dutch oven, Yum-O!!!

I love this camping area, each time we come up I remember why I love it so much.  It is peaceful, there is no Cell phone service, so electronics are ZERO, it is beautiful and so so so relaxing.


























 Saturday, May 25th
Last night was great.  We set the heater at 65 and it only had to kick on a few times, it was super quiet.  We woke up and it was a little chilly outside but not bad at all.  We made pancakes, bacon and scrambled eggs for breakfast.  For lunch we had walking tacos and calzones in the fire for dinner.  For snack this after noon we made something new.  You cut the top of the orange and peel out the orange.  You then fill it 1/2 way with brownie batter cover in tin foil and cook over the fire.  They were yummy, they had an orange taste to them, reminded me of Christmas chocolate oranges. 

After lunch we decided to take a drive up to skyline view.  Jake wanted to take the short cut.  All I can say is good thing for new tires.  Jake was in heaven, it was pure 4 wheeling through mud and snow.  We saw a ton of deer, it was beautiful.  I only had the most major anxiety attack of my life and convinced Jake we should turn around and go the long way because the top had a lot of deep snow still!  He gladly turned around and scared the crap out of me going back down.  I was a nervous wreck, and stated I would not like out family to all die today, so he laughed and continued being crazy Jake!  I haven't ever been to the top of Skyline dr, it was abosolutely beautiful!!!

Jake didn't feel so great for a bit so he took a small rest, the kids and I played " hit the Deck".  Kambria really wanted to play, and not help but play.  I let her, and that was a lot of patience, but she had so much fun and did a great job!  We then played phase 10; I explained how to play and Marshall did awesome, Kambria wore my patience thin with that game, and we decided it was time to venture out!

Later we went walking through the trees and pushed over several dead trees, they were quite hard this year to tip over!  We walked for hours looking for frogs and had no luck, I chose the route back and quietly said, PLEASE let us find a stinkin frog (the kids were super disappointed), and what happened next, we found 3 frogs.  Just goes to prove that Heavenly Father even listens to the silliest of prayers :)  The kids and Jake were estatic, they really wanted to catch a frog.  Kambria named her frog Sophia, and Marhsall was just excited to have two.  Before we left we got a bowl to put them in and then a big cup, and we cut holes in it so they could breathe, and put the cup over the frogs so they couldn't jump out of the bowl, worked like a charm!!

We came back, had ourselves some smores, washed up a little and now it is quiet and the kids are asleep, I am typing and I can hear Jake banging something around outside.  I am still in love with this joint, so peaceful, so beautiful, the snow that is here is melting so fast and more people are starting to arrive around the campground and cabins. 

Jake just called me out and we have a deer visitor, he is eating the grass right behind the trailer, he is super close, keeps looking at us and isn't scared at all!

On our walk to saw lots of deer prints, what looked like moutain lion prints, and elk prints (they were big).  We also found a skull that looked like a beaver, a tree shelter that someone must have made and a fire pit right next to it.  Jake and the kids loved hiking, me .... I get so nervous that I look all over looking for mtn lion, bear, deer, anything that may be lurking near us haha, I wish I wan't such a pansy.  I asked Jake, how do you like being the protector of the family?  How do you like that we rely on you to take care of us if the situation were to turn scary?  He said he likes it, then asked how I like to cook for our family all the time?  And I said I like it :)  Guess its good we have our roles figured out.





































Sunday, May 26th

Last night was pretty nice.  Not too cold, everyone seemed to sleep well.  We woke up and ate some breakfast burritos, then we just chilled by the fire.  We then headed out to go shoot guns.  Marshall has really been wanting to shoot a gun, we haven't taken him to do that before.  We drove up the short cut that we had taken yesterday, a ton more snow had melted, we parked and walked way down the moutain side so we were down low shooting into the hill.  Jake went over gun safety with Marshall and then they set up some targets.  The first shot Jake's handgun.  Jake shot several, then Marshall (with jake's help) shot some, Kambria shot a few and then they moved onto the AR-15.  Afterwards we climbed back up the mountain, which was very steep, and I was pulling Kambria up behind me.  We got back to the top and I thought I was going to barf, I am sooo out of shape!!  Jake then decided he wanted to go a bit higher on the mountain, so we took the side road to avoid the deep pocket of snow.  It became too snowy so we turned around.  Jake decided he wanted to try and go through the snow, I asked him please not too, but a boy has got to do what a boy has got to do and he floored it; I closed my eyes out of fear and next thing I knew we were stopped.  I opened up my eyes and we were completley stuck in the snow!  We tried and tried to get out but we were high centered (the snow was deep).  A 4 wheeler cam by and offered to help, so He and Jake began to dig a little bit, put rocks and wood under tires and nothing helped.  The wife and I got more wood and we were all so muddy.  The helping family decided to ride down to their cabin and get some shovels so we could dig ourselves out.  In the meantime we were digging out with wood and a truck happened to come up, just on a drive.  he had a tow rope, so he hooked to us and gave us one big pull, but we were still stuck, he gave us another huge tug and the rope broke and the hook flew right into his front and broke a small piece off his truck (oops).  The family then was back with shovels and Jake, him, another two men and I dug and dug and dug until we were no longer hight centered and in front of us was not super high snow.  He then gave us another tug and we came right out.  I am so thankful there are still good people in this world that are willing to help.  They were all so kind.  Another group rode by and said you look stuck, if you are still there on our way down, then maybe we will help you.  On there way down we were still stuck and they just stopped and watched.  It was a good lessen for Marshall to see how being kind and helpful is the right thing to do!!
We then came back and ate lunch and now we are all dead!






















Shooting
Marshall had a blast, he loves guns and thought it was so cool.  They are lucky because Jake is a great Dad and is so patient.  He taught Marshall and Kam all about gun safety and then helped them shoot.





Jakes family has been going to Fairview Lakes since he was a kid.  We have been going since we got married.  I love it up here.  It is so beautiful and so relaxing.  We had a wonderful time and hope to go again a few times this summer. 

 

No comments: